Will Dyson on 10 Dec 2005 22:01:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux HDTV

On 12/10/05, Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Will Dyson wrote:
>
>  I founf a great site for configuration but I am stuck at a certain point
> and not sure how to proceed. The Kernel modules are loaded and the card is
> there but I cannot get the firmware to load. It uses hotplug but I have no
> familiarity with hotplug. I have downloaded the extras that do scanning
> and store the channels but when I run atscan I get the message 'loading
> firmware' and then 'firmware not found'  This is either a hotplug issue or
> I don't have the firmware files in the right place. I think it should be
> /usr/share/hotplug/firmware  - anyone done this with SUSE 10?

Under debian, it is /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/. A bit of googleing
makes me think it is the same in Suse10.

Also, my kernel 2.6.15-rc5 source indicates that it is looking for the
following filenames: "dvb-fe-or51132-qam.fw" and
"dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw".

> Actually I have had Philly off air HDTV going here on my media system for
> some time. It works quite well. I also have DirectTV and get HBO HD from
> that. The off air had been a little flakey with an attic mounted antenna
> but I recently put up a Winegard SS2000 on my tower. It is a rectangle
> shaped amplified antenna that works very well. I get about 11 off air
> signals with about 25 combined channels. In particuliar channel 12-1 -
> PBSHD is very good in programming and quality. The 5.1 surround on most
> channels is very nice also. Being able to see a perfectly clean off air
> signal is great.

Yeah, I don't have an antenna mast on my appt. The indoor antenna just
doesn't do the job, but I'm not really interested in the effort of
putting up a mast.

--
Will Dyson