sean finney on 12 Dec 2005 00:08:20 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Streaming Video Recorder (mildly off topic)

hi,

(breaking the thread here as it's really a seperate topic)

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 03:33:03PM -0500, jazzman@exdomain.org wrote:
> mplayer -dumpstream URL_HERE
>
> and i get a few lines of startup information followed by:
>
> 	core dumped

is it really dumping core?  it seems that in recent versions of mplayer
in their infinite wisdom have decided to print "Core dumped ;)"
after successfully dumping a stream.

if it is really dumping a core, examining the backtrace would be
informative, but i'm doubting this is the case at all.

> I'm running FC3 and the RPMs that came with it, so my mplayer version
> isn't that out of date. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is there
> another app I can/should use? I tried poking into the .asx file and
> pulling out the URLs within, but that didn't help, so I'm not sure what's
> going on there. If I can PLAY the stream, there has to be a way to RECORD
> it, and I can play the stream on several boxes...

it's probably a bunch of url redirection/embedding going on, i've been
seeing a lot of sites doing this lately.  fetching the url gives a
playlist containing a list of further resources, which themselves may
be playlists or movies.  i think that if you continue recursively
through the list of urls you'll eventually hit your movie:

mplayer -dumpfile 1.dump -dumpstream url-1
mplayer -dumpfile 1-1.dump -dumpstream url-1.1
mplayer -dumpfile 1-2.dump -dumpstream url-1.2
mplayer -dumpfile 2-1.dump -dumpstream url-2.1
... etc

providing a link would be helpful if that doesn't work...

	sean