jazzman on 12 Dec 2005 05:11:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Streaming Video Recorder (mildly off topic)

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, sean finney wrote:

> is it really dumping core?  it seems that in recent versions of mplayer
> in their infinite wisdom have decided to print "Core dumped ;)"
> after successfully dumping a stream.
>
> if it is really dumping a core, examining the backtrace would be
> informative, but i'm doubting this is the case at all.

Well I don't see any core dumps, though I should look again to be sure,
but it definitely isn't dumping the stream. I do want to get MPlayer
working with streams for a few different reasons, but this was one that
bothered me most.

In the end, I finally did get something to work. I downloaded a demo of WM
Recorder (win32 app, but at least it did the job). The limitation on the
demo is that it only records the first 2 minutes of the stream and after
that it just drops the rest, but the stream I was trying to record was
only 1:37 long anyway, so it seems to have worked out ok.

> it's probably a bunch of url redirection/embedding going on, i've been
> seeing a lot of sites doing this lately.  fetching the url gives a
> playlist containing a list of further resources, which themselves may
> be playlists or movies.  i think that if you continue recursively
> through the list of urls you'll eventually hit your movie:

Yeah, this is exactly what it is, but the weird part is that it almost
looks like after the 2nd or 3rd level they all return the SAME links. It's
probably some strange method of keeping people from doing exactly what I
did... go figure!

Anyway, thanks again to all! I'll look for a core file from MPlayer, but
I'm pretty sure there wasn't one.

Thanks again!
Marc