Art Clemons on 13 Dec 2005 02:01:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] gcc versions

Ok. Yes I have heard that mix and match can be a problem but am I opening
a whole new can of worms by back tracking? Would this not mean that a
whole bunch of code would potentially have to be recompiled? Obviously
SUSE thought it was stable enough to base a release on it as well as
Fedora core 4.

If your kernel is compiled with gcc 4.x, then stick with gcc 4.x. I personally hate internal compiler errors, but if that's what your kernel is, stick with it, it can be really nasty trying to mix things especially going backwards. Some things work out if the compiler is a later version, but I'ld expect little more than disaster trying to go backwards. I must note that 4.x does seem to be improving, I just didn't think it was ready for prime time.