Mark M. Hoffman on 13 Dec 2005 02:30:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] gcc versions

Hi Art:

* Art Clemons <artclemons@aol.com> [2005-12-12 21:00:41 -0500]:
> If your kernel is compiled with gcc 4.x, then stick with gcc 4.x.  I
> personally hate internal compiler errors, but if that's what your kernel
> is, stick with it, it can be really nasty trying to mix things
> especially going backwards.  Some things work out if the compiler is a
> later version, but I'ld expect little  more than disaster trying to go
> backwards.  I must note that 4.x does seem to be improving, I just
> didn't think it was ready for prime time.

I've been running recent kernels compiled with 3.4.4 on FC4 for a while.

The kernel is self-contained.  There's no problem compiling it with any
version of GCC that it supports - independent of whatever version of GCC
is used for the rest of your system.

Unless... you compile out-of-kernel modules.  But then of course you use
the same version of gcc that you used to compile the rest of your kernel.
But even then, it's probably OK if you don't.  It's the C++ ABI that has
seen changes... while the C ABI has been (AFAIK) stable for a long time.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman@lightlink.com