Doug Crompton on 15 Dec 2005 04:30:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] gcc versions

Ok I guess no question is stupid but just how do I bring in a new
compiler version? My SUSE 10 DVD only has the gcc4 as far as I can
determine. So how does one install an older gcc like 3.4.4? Do I find a
binary? get source?

Doug

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Mark M. Hoffman wrote:

> Hi Art:
>
> Doug wrote:
> > >Ok. Yes I have heard that mix and match can be a problem but am I opening
> > >a whole new can of worms by back tracking? Would this not mean that a
> > >whole bunch of code would potentially have to be recompiled? Obviously
> > >SUSE thought it was stable enough to base a release on it as well as
> > >Fedora core 4.
>
> * Art Clemons <artclemons@aol.com> [2005-12-12 21:00:41 -0500]:
> > If your kernel is compiled with gcc 4.x, then stick with gcc 4.x.  I
> > personally hate internal compiler errors, but if that's what your kernel
> > is, stick with it, it can be really nasty trying to mix things
> > especially going backwards.  Some things work out if the compiler is a
> > later version, but I'ld expect little  more than disaster trying to go
> > backwards.  I must note that 4.x does seem to be improving, I just
> > didn't think it was ready for prime time.
>
> I've been running recent kernels compiled with 3.4.4 on FC4 for a while.
>
> The kernel is self-contained.  There's no problem compiling it with any
> version of GCC that it supports - independent of whatever version of GCC
> is used for the rest of your system.
>
> Unless... you compile out-of-kernel modules.  But then of course you use
> the same version of gcc that you used to compile the rest of your kernel.
> But even then, it's probably OK if you don't.  It's the C++ ABI that has
> seen changes... while the C ABI has been (AFAIK) stable for a long time.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Mark M. Hoffman
> mhoffman@lightlink.com

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *