Mark M. Hoffman on 13 Dec 2005 02:03:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] gcc versions

Hi Doug:

* Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com> [2005-12-12 16:36:58 -0500]:
> This issue with gcc compatibility brings up a question. What are the
> implications of having multiple gcc compilers on the same system? How
> would one go about doing that? My current system has gcc4. What prior
> version of gcc3 should I install?

I have some FC4 boxes also.  I've installed 3.4.4 on them with no
problems.  I haven't gotten around to 3.4.5 yet - as of today, that one
isn't yet two weeks old.

Building GCC from source is not too difficult.  I suggest using a suffix
'--program-suffix=3.4.4' during configuration.  Then, you can keep your
distro supplied gcc and your source-built gcc on the same system without
too much hassle... at least for C programs.

To use the older one, just do 'export CC=gcc-3.4.4' before the configure
step of whatever it is you're compiling.

C++ is a different matter though: 4.x brought with it some ABI changes.
To be safe, everything you link to a target program should be built with
the same gcc version.

I don't use the other languages supported by GCC (--enable-languages=c,c++)
so I have no comment about the rest.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman