Doug Crompton on 21 Dec 2005 22:45:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] enough with OT

Being the administrator of a number of small lists I can understand both
sides of the discussion. One of my lists has about 500 recipients and if
the BW gets just a little high and maybe not even off topic I have
complaints and unsubscribes.

Personally I do not understand this. For the PLUG list here at my site all
messages are segregated with procmail. If I want to view PLUG stuff I
specifically go to that mailbox in Pine where I am shown subject headers.
I often skim over those that appear uninteresting. I can totally ignore
PLUG mail or individual messages if I desire.

So what is the beef? Is it BW? Ego? Being to lazy to setup a system to
segregate your mail? Hell you could even tell procmail to send the OT
messages to /dev/null.

My experience is that there are just 'touchy' people in the world. The
'one in every crowd' type. The ones that would complain if you were giving
them a million dollars.

Right now I have 2200 PLUG messages in my PLUG mailbox which goes back to
late last March. The last time I purged it. It takes up a miniscule amount
of space on today's large hard drives! I actually have most of my email
back to the mid 90's.

My complaint with PLUG is that often there is not a response to an 'on
topic' request. I have asked several very much linux questions and had no
response. Perhaps that is because no one has an answer and that is OK I
guess, but you ask an OT question and everyone come outs of the wood work!

Perhaps there is more general rather then Linux knowledge here!

Doug