Art Alexion on 22 Dec 2005 01:38:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OOo 2 File Corruption

gyoza@comcast.net wrote:

>So, I tried OOo 2.0.0 and used their new Writer format.  Not good.  The
>file became corrupted.
>
>I was able to recover the text from a PDF export that I did as a test.
>Then I saved using the old Writer format.  No problem so far.
>
>Just be aware that it could happen to you if it hasn't already.  That
>was my first use of OOo2.  Well, I was writing in Japanese text with
>furigana.  But, the problem seemed to occur when I did a "save as...".
>Doesn't seem to make sense, but that's when things freaked out.  Both
>the original file and the new file were corrupted.

I've been using for a while.  No file corruption problems, but...

When I *save as* MS-doc to a windows/samba partition, OO2 crashes, like
you say.

That said, it only occurs when I initially *save as*, only when I save
in the doc format, and it always saves and recovers the files with
recent edits flawlessly.  I don't know whether the problem is with "save
as doc" or saving to the samba partition as I never use the doc format
on the Linux partition.  It does not happen with regular saves.

Combining our experiences, it may be a problem with the "save as"
command, but as it occurs for you with odt files and for me with doc
files, I doubt the problem is the odt file format.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c