Stephen Gran on 29 Dec 2005 12:30:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] apt-get dist-upgrade gone haywire

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 07:30:56AM -0800, ARTHUR ALEXION said:
> I tried to upgrade from [a perfectly good] Ubuntu Hoary to Ubuntu
> Breezy via apt-get dist-upgrade, and it initially failed.   Re-running
> apt-get dist-upgrade with the --fix-missing option resulted in finally
> downloading and installing most of the failed packages, but still an
> error (dpkg code 1).
>
>   Now when I run apt-get dist-upgrade -f, I get the following errors:
>
>   perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>   perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>        LANGUAGE = "en_GB:en_US:en"
>        LC_ALL = (unset),
>        LANG = "en_US"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
>   perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
>   locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory.
>   locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory.
>   locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory.

This is, while annoying, a red herring.  More on it later.

>   System boots, but X won't start.

The fact that dpkg exited with an error code means that there was a
problem with one of the package installations.  Run dpkg --configure -a
to rerun the configuration stage.  At this point, you'll see an error
that will help you to find the real problem.

Once that is fixed and a bug is filed with Ubuntu :), make sure that the
locales package is installed, and you have configured locales for each
of the locales you want to use (en_US and en_GB, it looks like).  If you
don't get a debconf screen on first install of locales, run
dpkg-reconfigure locales and it will walk you through it.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | When it comes to broken marriages most  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | husbands will split the blame -- half   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | his wife's fault, and half her          |
|                                | mother's.                               |