Toby DiPasquale on 30 Dec 2005 20:05:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] SATA and Raid

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 01:08:56PM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> I am thinking of replacing my ATA drives on a non-SATA MB with SATA using
> a PCI SATA adapter. Has anyone done this?
>
> The adapter boards are inexpensive and there are HW raid versions that
> are in the $100 range.
>
> When using HW raid... lets say 2 drives mirrored for a simple example.
> Assuming there are 6 or 7 linux partitions on the drive, does it treat the
> drive as one entity? E.G if you were to lose a drive and replace it would
> it reconstruct it as the other drive with all partitions?

Hardware RAID generally presents the RAID-1 mirror as a disk, so you can
partition it as you like. For example, with SCSI RAID and two disks in a
RAID-1 configuration, you will see something like a /dev/sda that you
build your partitions onto and install data and so forth. Hardware RAID
generally doesn't (nor would you really want it to) understand OS-specific
partitioning schemes. So, in answer to your question, yes it would
reconstruct the failed drive just like the other one, b/c for the hardware
RAID system, partitions are just data on the disk. This working, of
course, assumes that the disk you replace the failed disk with has the
same basic geometry as the working disk that it will mirror from.

As for SATA RAID, we've had some problems with it here at Symantec and
I've heard a bunch of bad things about it on the linux-raid and associated
lists. If you're going to go with SATA, you might just want to stick with
software RAID (which Linux's is the best, btw) for now.

--
Toby DiPasquale