Tom Diehl on 30 Dec 2005 20:15:50 -0000

[PLUG] Re: SATA and Raid

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Doug Crompton wrote:

> I am thinking of replacing my ATA drives on a non-SATA MB with SATA using
> a PCI SATA adapter. Has anyone done this?

I have not actually replaced IDE drives with SATA but I have added true
hardware raid SATA controllers to several boxes.

> The adapter boards are inexpensive and there are HW raid versions that
> are in the $100 range.

Most of these are NOT true hardware raid. They are software raid in hardware
raid's clothing. Adaptec, promise, etc. are famous for this.

3Ware is one manf. of true hardware raid controllers (for more $$ of course).
With true hardware raid the OS only sees a single drive. The disks are managed
by the controller.

I am not saying the fake raid controllers are necessarily bad, just that you
should be aware of the difference.

> When using HW raid... lets say 2 drives mirrored for a simple example.
> Assuming there are 6 or 7 linux partitions on the drive, does it treat the
> drive as one entity? E.G if you were to lose a drive and replace it would
> it reconstruct it as the other drive with all partitions?

Yes, even software raid will do this if configured properly.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com