sean finney on 15 Jan 2006 21:26:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Board not recognized at boot

hey doug,

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:36:19AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Would this matter if the root filesystem was not on the drives/interface
> in question. As you can see from dmesg these drives are not even
> partitioned/formated. My files and boot are on a PATA attached drive on a
> different interface and they work fine.

if you don't need it to boot, you don't need it in your initrd.

my guess is that there's some kind of race condition in the
order that drivers are being loaded.  that is, the sata driver
depends on some other driver already being loaded *and initialized*,
even though it hasn't ensured this.

finding out what this is might be tricky, but i'd start by booting
with init=/bin/sh, and trying

mount -o remount,rw /
lsmod > first.txt
modprobe sata_promise
lsmod > second.txt
rmmod sata_promise
modprobe sata_promise > third.txt
mount -o remount,ro /

and if you're lucky, things won't work after the first modprobe,
but will after the second.  you can then use diff to determine
what other modules were also loaded.  then you can reboot,
and try loading these other modules first, and then loading
sata_promise.  if you're lucky again, it should then work on the
first try.  if that works, then you jsut need to configure your
system to load the other modules first, which you can usually do
simply by listing them in /etc/modules, but ymmv with different
distros...

anyway, hth
	sean