Doug Crompton on 17 Jan 2006 02:51:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Board not recognized at boot

Ok to follow up on this and what I found.....

First of all the suggestion to check initrd was not so far off base. My
system did have a SCSI card in it when I installed SUSE 10 a few months
ago. It had a SCSI CD drive hung on it as the only device. I also had a
PATA CD and my main and only hard drive was PATA.

I added a Promise SATA300 TX4 last week with two 250GB SATA drives. At the
same time I removed the adaptec scsi card and CD drive.

After Mod'ing the sata_promise.c file to add the product code for this
board, as per Goggle search, compiling the module, and adding it to
/lib/modules, I was able to modprobe it and have access to the drives.

I was not however able to get it to come up after a boot.

So as suggested, and after some research, I looked in
/etc/sysconfig/kernel which lists the modules that mkinitrd uses to make
the image. Sure enough sata_promise was in their - for some reason listed
twice, but no libata or scsi_mod. I corrected this, copied my exisitng
/boot/initrd for backup and ran mkinitrd which created a new /boot/initrd
image. After booting the drives were there.

A good learning experience. Thanks for the help.

Doug