sean finney on 15 Jan 2006 21:14:17 -0000

rh8.0, winmodems, and list etiquette [was Re: [PLUG] unable to ...]

hi,

in the future please do not hijack threads by simply replying to
some other random message to the list.  at the very least,
please specify a subject different from the thread you've
hijacked!  i've done so, and removed the message-id's from
the header for those of us who use threaded mail readers.

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 03:08:06PM -0500, schwepes@netaxs.com wrote:
> Just a quick question.  I'm hoping I'm right in my memory but did
> Redhat 8.0 accept winmodems?

afaik, it does not support (any? most?) winmodems.  but why in the world
are you installing redhat 8 on a machine?  i hope you realize that out
of the box it will be vulnerable to several dozen publicly available
remote exploits.  that's like giving someone an unpatched, out of the
box windows 2k install.

anyway, i'm not aware of what distros support winmodems out of the box,
you're probably best off compiling the drivers yourself (which probably
means installing from cdrom media if you don't have a NIC).

	sean