Doug Crompton on 17 Jan 2006 06:03:25 -0000

[PLUG] SW raid/lvm suse

I am trying to setup raid with lvm2 on suse 10 and I am a little confused.
I am using yast partitioner in kde.

Two 250GB SATA drives - sda,sdb  raid1 mirror

I created two extended partitions of full disk size for both disks. Then I
created a partition with FD label on each. Then created raid md0. This
worked fine. It is resync'ing as I write this.

cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sdb5[1] sda5[0]
      244187840 blocks [2/2] [UU]
      [=======>.............]  resync = 37.0% (90568128/244187840)
finish=47.4min speed=54008K/sec

I want to run LVM partitions on top of this and I went through that and
basically understand it but I have a few questions...

How should (or should) the md0 raid partition be formated for LVM? I use
reisert here in general. But should the raid partition be formated in a
file system and then the LVM later?

It I intend to boot from this array should I create swap and boot
partitions ouside of the raid on both drives first? If not how should this
be handled?

Is booting from a raid array a good idea in general?

Hopefully there is someone out there doing something similiar to this.

Doug