Paul L. Snyder on 24 Jan 2006 15:03:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] /usr/local vs. /opt

Quoting "Michael C. Toren" <mct@toren.net>:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:42:55AM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> > What is the difference between these two and when should one use
> which?
>
> On big-endian machines, one should use /usr/local.
>
> On little-endian machines, one should use /opt.
>
> On equal-endian machines, one should use /mlk.

That's...novel.  I'll keep that in mind the next time I install Linux
on my PDP-11.

On Gentoo, at least, portage installs packages that are big blobs of
vendor binaries (VMware, Acrobat, pre-compiled Firefox) into /opt, and
will never install anything into /usr/local.  Anything that goes into
/opt on Gentoo will typically be completely confined within its own
directory.

Sean's comment on manually-compiled packages that use GNU autotools
(./configure; make; make install) is apt...these default to installing
into /usr/local by default; if your package manager leaves this subtree
alone, installing something by hand won't muck up your managed files.
(But remember to watch your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

pls