schwepes on 25 Jan 2006 21:37:05 -0000

Re: [PLUG] /usr/local vs. /opt re pdp 11

Gawd you make me feel old here.  I remember when the PDP 11 was actually
sexy.  In college, everybody shared a DEC 10 which had a bad habit of
failing in Norfolk when a thunderstorm threatened Richmond and the
machines on the job were CP-30l's built by Unisys with the engineers
doing the real work on Trash 80's and Osbourn portables.
The writing was done in Fortran with those truly ugly format statements
and basic with those problems with the natural log, e.
To gain ideal use of the machine, one actually learned all of the number
codes in its chip's assembly language.
Does anybody remember all of the commands for WordStar?
We actually thought that the limit of speed on a microchip was soon to be
reached.  Hope was provided by such strange things as the Josephson
Junction which only worked real near to absolute zero in temperture.
I remember a friend's pride in getting his Heath Kit computer to work.
I remember the Sinclair that Bill Cosby advertised and I bought my
daughter for Christmas.  I bought the extension so she could have 64K of
RAM.  I was too cheap to buy the box that would permit a floppy disk
input and output.  Living on G.I. Bill meant that I had to economize.
bs