W. Chris Shank on 1 Feb 2006 02:03:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Discusion on Linux4Austin Project

CompUSA and the like won't sell linux hardware and software because there is very little profit incentive for them to do so. Those that have sold linux on PCs or software for linux have to deal with WAAAYYY more return and customer complaints. When RedHat sold desktop linux they had to deal with a lot of user questions and problems. I had many instances of their reply being: "Sorry, we don't support that" - "that" being whatever I was trying to do that could be done easily with Windows. So only the true diehards would have kept the software.

This same argument is why the OEMs aren't selling it. Dell won't sell anything until a market develops. They have no interest in developing a market themselves. I could see Sony getting into if if they tried to be like Apple, but then their version of Linux wouldn't much resemble anything available right now.

gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
CompUSA /used to/ sell Linux and Star Office.  I haven't seen it
lately.  Also, Wal-mart has the no-OS or Linux PCs.  I don't know how
the sales are doing.  Other countries sell Linux-based PCs.  Again, I
don't know much about them.

This is what I believe in: Windows+OSS -> Windows+OSS+Linux -> OSS+Linux

Sadly, for now, I believe most people would gladly pay the $200 for a
pre-installed, "authentic" copy or the most recent version of Windows.

Bill Hance wrote:

   Linux will never be used by the masses until it comes pre-installed and
available through the retail chains that people normally use. When a
consumer can get a PC with Linux for $299. or the same hardware with
Windows for $499. there will be converts.

W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC
www.acetechgroup.com
(610) 640-4223 x10
begin:vcard
fn:W. Chris Shank
n:Shank;W. Chris
org:ACE Technology Group, LLC
adr:391 Lancaster Ave, Suite 200;;Whiteland Business Park;Malvern;PA;19355;USA
email;internet:shankwc@acetechgroup.com
title:Principal
tel;work:(610) 640-4223 x10
tel;fax:(610) 640-4323