Art Alexion on 1 Feb 2006 17:32:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Personal Financial software

Got an older, but functional, copy of Quickbooks, and a free copy of
Quicken that comes with TurboTax, but I wanted to do this in Linux if I
could.

BTW, downloaded and installed Moneydance, but it really mangled the QIF
import from kMyMoney.  I think this is a kMyMoney issue because GnuCash
refused to import the QIF (Data for number or date does not match a
recognized format.)

Darian Anthony Patrick wrote:

> I used to use GnuCash.  I switched to QuickBooks Online Edition because
> my accountant can use it (accountant gets a free login).  It's IE-only
> though.  And costs ~$35 per month.
>
> Art Alexion wrote:
>
> >With the recommendations, I guess I'll give GnuCash another try.

> >>If you can wait or are still looking when they release it, give GnuCash
> >>another try later this year.  They're about to release a very
> significant
> >>version bump (prepping for GC2).  I've been using GC1.x for a couple of
> >>years, and actually enjoy it, and have been monitoring their mailing
> list for
> >>many months now in anticipation of GC2 pre-releases.
> >>
> >>GC1.x is definitely usable and I personally like the interface,
> FWIW, for
> >>others who are also looking for finance software.
> >>
> >>    http://www.gnucash.org
> >>    http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule
> >>
> >>The largest hurdle for a newbie (IMHO) is to get used to Double
> Entry (if you
> >>choose to use it, which I highly recommend).
> >>
> >>    http://www.gnucash.org/en/features_5.phtml

> --
> Darian Anthony Patrick <dapatrick@darianpatrick.com>
> Freelance Web Programmer and Photographer

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need
for alarm.
Info @

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c