Brian Epstein on 4 Feb 2006 15:26:27 -0000

Re: [PLUG] /proc/crypto/cipher

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that it should, in principle, be possible
to export such a file system with the encryption happening on the
client.  The doc I read said it would be supported RSN, but that was a
few years ago.  Has anyone gotten that working here?

That would be very nice for all manner of things if I could mount
something that is garbage on the server but meaningful on the client.
In particular, it is one solution to remote backup to untrusted
servers.

I think I understand what you mean. Basically, you have an untrusted network shared drive and you want to store files on it that the server admin can't get to, right?

If you are using samba or NFS, it is as straightforward as following the directions I posted. All you have to do is save the initial image file on the remote server.

For example, let's say that I have a samba mounted directory on my system.

	# smbmount //server/share /mnt/share -o username=ep,workgroup=foo
	Password:
	# cd /share

Now I just follow the directions as before, just making sure that the file I create with the dd command is created in this /share directory. The same thing applies to NFS.

ep

--
Brian Epstein <ep@epiary.org>
Key fingerprint = F9C8 A715 933E 6A64 C220  482B 02CF B6C8 DB7F 41B4