Jeff Abrahamson on 4 Feb 2006 15:04:05 -0000

Re: [PLUG] /proc/crypto/cipher

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 08:39:58AM -0500, Brian Epstein wrote:
>   [90 lines, 430 words, 3081 characters]  Top characters: eotainrs
>
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Greg Lopp wrote:
>
> > I have an installer that appears to mount a crypto'd loopback
> > image.  It asks me for a password and then, according to strace,
> > tries to access /proc/crypto/cipher.
>
> What kernel are you running on?  I think /proc/crypto/cipher has
> been replaced in later versions of the kernel.  Here is the process
> I use to mount an encrypted loopback image.

Hmm, very cool.

I remember reading somewhere that it should, in principle, be possible
to export such a file system with the encryption happening on the
client.  The doc I read said it would be supported RSN, but that was a
few years ago.  Has anyone gotten that working here?

That would be very nice for all manner of things if I could mount
something that is garbage on the server but meaningful on the client.
In particular, it is one solution to remote backup to untrusted
servers.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287