Douglas Muth on 10 Feb 2006 21:17:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] distro choice

On 2/10/06, Ronald Kaye Jr <rekaye1005@verizon.net> wrote:

> 2) what would your current choices be ( i will start with fedora core and
> suse)

If I were in that position, I'd toss Ubuntu, GenToo, and Slackware
into the mix.  Each of those distros uses a different system for
managing software (apt-get, emerge, and uh, tarballs), and would give
students exposure to different systems.

> 3) is there central location for a list of distros and hardware
> requirements?

I don't know about requirements, but http://linuxtracker.org/ has a
list of torrents for distros.

> (we may want to look into distros for our old, hardware challenged
> equipment,
> like my old ibm p2 200-400 MHz PCs)

In theory, I don't think there's anything stopping you from installing
a relatively new version of RedHat, turning off things you don't need,
and using a lightweight window manager.  Could make for a way for
students to "dive in" to the OS and learn how to configure it. :-)
Just a thought.

-- Doug