gyoza on 10 Feb 2006 21:25:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] distro choice

Douglas Muth wrote:
> If I were in that position, I'd toss Ubuntu, GenToo, and Slackware
> into the mix.  Each of those distros uses a different system for
> managing software (apt-get, emerge, and uh, tarballs), and would give
> students exposure to different systems.

I know a guy who had a terrible time just trying to enable Japanese text
input in Slackware.  I suggested trying Ubuntu or Kubuntu and he was
very impressed.  He said all his hardware was detected and worked after
install, and he had Japanese text input working after a very short
time.  I think it's good to stick with one distro for a while, but one
can learn just as well using a distro that works out of the box as well
as one that one must struggle to make work.  I mean, it's always an
option to tweak and break a system after install.  heh.