Brian Epstein on 10 Feb 2006 22:13:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] distro choice

you want to give your students exposure to 4 or 5 at most
distros. job marketability and installed base are of primary importance.

1) what criteria would you use to make this decision?

2) what would your current choices be ( i will start with fedora core and suse)

3) is there central location for a list of distros and hardware requirements?
(we may want to look into distros for our old, hardware challenged equipment,
like my old ibm p2 200-400 MHz PCs)

I have seen RedHat/Fedora primarily in the corporate world. Following would be SuSE, Mandrake, Debian and occasionally Slackware.

If you want the same packages as RedHat ES, but don't want to spend the money, I'd suggest going with something like White Box Linux.

	http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/

It is supposed to be 100% compatible with RHEL binaries. Personally, I use Fedora because it allows you to learn new features that will be introduced in RHEL.

As far as hardware requirements, your PCs are perfect for Fedora (or any of the distros). That's the beauty of Linux. I would suggest giving your students Knoppix CD's to take home and play with on their PCs. These cd's allow them to run Linux without touching their harddrives. They can practice without losing their own PCs.

ep

--
Brian Epstein <ep@epiary.org>
Key fingerprint = F9C8 A715 933E 6A64 C220  482B 02CF B6C8 DB7F 41B4