Eugene Smiley on 14 Feb 2006 23:14:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] setting up a server: comcast, squid, port 80/8080

Christopher M. Jones wrote:

> Everything works fine until I try to get to my site from a machine
> outside of the lan. I guess the short question is: does Comcast block
> port 80? Is that why my connection is refused outside the lan? Can I use
> port 8080 to get around this?

Negative. Comast doesn't block port 80 as proved by http://www.esmiley.net
(hosted on a home server over Comcast line). Other services running on this
system and accessible to the world are NTP, SSH, IMAPS, POPS and SMTP (on port 25).