edward.pike on 15 Feb 2006 07:38:46 -0000

RE: [PLUG] setting up a server: comcast, squid, port 80/8080

I have setup simple webservers for at least 2 friends
on comcast so i dont think they block it.

in order of preference I would check:

1 - the dydns address really points to your assigned IP.
    (could it have changed?).  most problems of my friends
    is this, half the time.
2 - port forwarding from the outside.e.g., the router wan ip
    the inside machine 192.168.1.x:80.  if you suspect
    80 is blocked work try other services (e.g., ssh
    just to see if you get any response from the outside..
    even a prompt) for awhile with the appropriate port forwarding.

I dont know what dansguardian is; apache i wouldnt be concerned
too much about but I think you NEED to be careful about squid (not to open
it to the outside world).

epike