Sean C. Sheridan on 25 Feb 2006 16:12:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Job offer :: contract position

Sean et. al.,

Those are some great points you made, anybody wanting to learn more about
the legality of harvesting (and then reselling) data from a "phone
directory" should look at the caselaw which holds that it is perfectly
legal to do so if the source is public information, as in a phone book.

Anybody wanting to learn more about why a "college directory" is in the
public domain should read up on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy
Act of 1974 (FERPA) which basically states that any educational
institution which receives federal money must determine if it is going to
offer a directory and if they do what information that directory will
hold.

Most colleges in US do offer public directory information that includes
data such as:  Name, address, classyear, major, phone number, email
address, special interests.

Furthermore, there are established public companies who have been doing
exactly what we are talking about including:

http://www.studentlist.com/  a division of a publicly traded European
company who has been harvesting information from college telephone
directories for more than thirty years.

http://www.studentmarketing.net/ a division of a publicly traded US based
bank, they have been doing this for about 15 years.

And while Alexander has every right to call this Junk Mail, people in the
direct mail industry tend to use the term "targeted direct mail".  And
while I, personally, dislike junk mail... I do periodically open a
targeted direct mail piece.  Of course my wife always opens the samples of
perfume and shampoo and offers from companies she likes.  (And if you had
any idea what we were going to send to these students believe me, 98% of
you wouldn't consider it junk).

Frankly guys, I'm not asking for your input on any of the above and I for
one would prefer to not need to defend myself when trying to offer a
legitimate contract to a local programmer.  Overseas programmers wouldn't
even ask, nor would they charge as much.  I came to this list seeking a
programmer, not a debate on the morals of marketing.  So let's lay off the
guy who's trying to do you a favor, eh Cos?

Thank you, and thanks to those who have contacted me off list seeking more
information.  Please end this thread.

Sean C. Sheridan
scs@CampusClients.com

Campus Party, Inc.