Michael Lazin on 5 Mar 2006 14:52:25 -0000

[PLUG] audio issues on RHEL

I am running RHEL WS 4 on my home system, which has a built-in Intel HD audio.  I am using ALSA.  I find that applications seem to compete for sound resources, for instance, if I stop rhythmbox and play a movie with xine, then when I try to use rhythmbox again after I am done it sometimes says "ALSA device "default" is already in use by another program."  The same thing happens when I play a CD and try to use rhythmbox afterward.  Is this a weakness of the driver for my sound card, or a weakness of Redhat?  Or is this a problem with rhythmbox?  It is extremely annoying.  I would like to freely switch between audio applications.  Things get even worse when I try to run applications like Skype which use OSS.  The sound server simply crashes after using Skype, even though theoretically OSS emulation should work.   I have had this problem with a number of kernels and am considering switching distros if that will make things better.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Michael