Benjamin Folk Jr. on 10 Mar 2006 19:49:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: (outta sight!) making IT in Philly?

This is mainly for Ronald and Floyd....

I just wanted to add that I work for a defense contractor\aerospace company and it is a HUGE *NIX shop. Not all, but most of the programs on the campus are *NIX development oriented. It was difficult for me to get a chance as UNIX sys admin and it took what seemed like an eternity to get a position in an entirely UNIX environment. For the OP, keep sending out resumes and meet people. There are at least 170 open positions in my building alone. Defense contractors are big shops. Working for a defense contractor is a little different than most profit based businesses, but as far as getting good experience, they are one the best places to learn. Towers Perrin at 15th and Market (Center Square East) is another local place that has some major UNIX machines. I still keep in touch with a cpuple of the admins that remained onboard after the EDS outsourcing. Comcast in West Chester and iat 15th and Market (Center Square East and West) has 300+ UNIX boxes.

I remember begging managers to do volunteer work with their UNIX staff members just to get my foot in the door. I jumped from job to job getting more and more experience and eventually I got what I thought I wanted. When I got to Lockheed and saw labs of HP-UX, Sun, and SGI workstations, I thought I was in heaven. The first 6 months were very interesting but very shortly thereafter it becase just another job. At the time, the secretaries there knew more UNIX than I did since everyone had an Ultra5, or Sunblade 100 at their desks. Linux is here and it is a great skill to have on your resume.

Keep looking and ask for help and ideas. I'll submit your resumes for you at my place of business if you are interested. It is not the best place in the world to work, but it is very interesting. 99% of the interesting stuff you can't talk about so it is sort of a double edged sword.

Sorry for rambling.....and if I offended anyone or broke any list rules, I apologize.

Ben