Art Alexion on 12 Apr 2006 15:57:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Computer / Industrial / Military Surplus Stores In Philadelphia?

There was an article in the Inquirer (http://www.philly.com/) within the past
week or so bemoaning the demise of "Army Surplus stores" nationally.  It
mentioned a place in NJ which I've never been to, plus a trade magazine or
site that should list its members.

Hope this helps.

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 20:24, John Von Essen wrote:
> In State College there was a surplus and salvage warehouse that sold
> random old computer stuff, lab equipment, furniture from the 70's, and
> some farm equipment. But thats a 3 1/2 hour drive! I would imagine some
> of the local Philly universities have something similar. I grew up in
> Philly, had an old high school physics teacher that told me about how
> he would get stuff from a surplus department at either Penn or Drexel -
> if he didn't grab it, they would just trash it.
>
> -john
>
> On Apr 11, 2006, at 8:01 PM, Nathan Schlehlein wrote:
> > Hey y'all!
> >
> > Does anyone know of any good computer / industrial / military surplus
> > stores in the Philadelphia area?
> >
> > You know...  One of those places where you really can't go with a
> > shopping list, but you end up leaving two hours later with old
> > electronics parts, something that looks like an antenna and just
> > happens
> > to work well as one too, a 20 year old computer that runs on punch
> > cards
> > that might just be a welcome addition to your home beowulf cluster,
> > motors for your robotic prom date, gears, a slightly shot up optical
> > sight from the main gun of a WWII German Panzer IV, a shiny complex
> > looking and undocumented component to put on your desk as a paperweight
> > to make your co-workers think you are just that much cooler, a weird
> > model of a dinosaur, etc. ?
> >
> > Here are a few examples of stores that I've been to in other states
> > that
> > are pretty much exactly like what I'm talking about -
> >
> > http://www.sciplus.com/index.cfm - American Science & Surplus in
> > Chicago
> > and Milwaukee
> >
> > http://www.ax-man.com/ - Ax Man surplus in St. Paul / Minneapolis
> >
> > I haven't found a store of this ilk around here yet, unfortunately.
> > And
> > that makes me sad.  :-(
> >
> > I'd be curious to know what y'all have had experience with, if
> > anything.
> >
> > Or maybe I'll just start one of my own...  Hmmn...  Please send odd
> > surplus to this address...  :-)
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Nathan Schlehlein

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for
alarm.
Info @

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c