Shameel Arafin on 24 Apr 2006 02:42:46 -0000

[PLUG] configuring packages -- libgconf2-4

Hi. I'm trying to install Gizmo (a linux-friendlier competitor to Skype) on a Knoppix box (basic Knoppix with KDE installed to hard drive on an old Thinkpad). I don't have GNOME installed.

Gizmo has a debian package, with 2 dependencies, all of which I installed from their site ( http://www.gizmoproject.com/download-linux.html).

However, when trying to install (dpkg -i) the gizmo .deb package, I get an error, and I tried to track it down, and it seems to boil down to this (there is a list of errors I got as I tried to track down the final problem, see below):

in trying to reinstall gconf2-common (apt-get install gconf2-common) I get this:
Setting up gconf2-common (2.14.0-1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ucf.templates: No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Template.pm line 87.

Does anybody know what this is about, and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Shameel

These are the steps I took:

1) dpkg -i the gizmo .deb gave the error:
 gizmo-project depends on libgconf2-4; however:
  Package libgconf2-4 is not configured yet.

2) I tried dpkg --configure libgconf2-4 and got the error:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgconf2-4:
 libgconf2-4 depends on gconf2-common (= 2.14.0-1); however:
  Package gconf2-common is not configured yet.

3) dpkg-reconfigure gconf2-common yields the error:
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: gconf2-common is broken or not fully installed

4) in trying to reinstall gconf2-common (apt-get install gconf2-common) I get this: