Doug Crompton on 25 Apr 2006 04:33:22 -0000

[PLUG] rsync question

I recently setup a local rsync server/client connection. The client (a
SUSE system) and the server (an NSLU2 unslung 6.8) do not share common
users/groups - they are completely different. When I backup a directory
tree the users/groups are maintained at the opposite end but since these
users/groups do not exist they are displayed numerically.

My question - is this what one would normally expect when backing up to a
remote system? I expect if these files needed to be recovered the numeric
users/groups would recover to their proper names. Is there a problem here?
How do others handle (or not handle) this?

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *