John Fiore on 27 Apr 2006 23:20:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] FIOS

Nobody really needs more than 1.5 Mbps any more than we need a hard
drive bigger than a few gigs, but every time you get a big hard drive,
you tend to fill it.

He's paying $40 for 1.5 Mbps, and could be paying the same price for
10 times the bit rate.  For most things that most people do on the
internet today, you probably wouldn't feel the difference between 1.5
Mbps and 15 Mbps, but keep in mind, that his upload speed is probably
currently about 256 kbps.  With FIOS, it'd go up to a few Mbps, which
would make a nice difference if he's at work and wants to get some
files left at home (or even allow a home MP3 or video jukebox that's
available wherever he goes).

The question is whether or not the extra capacity is worth the
aggravation of the switch.  Personally, I'd go for it, but because I
live in Philly, I doubt I'd ever have to make the decision.