John Von Essen on 2 May 2006 00:16:24 -0000

Re: Central Office Emergency Power [WAS Re: [PLUG] Re: FIOS]

It goes without saying that in a Katrina-like disaster - you'll be screwed either way.

However, its geographical. The mid-atlantic region doesn't suffer from any of the serious major weather anomalies or earthquakes. The only thing to be concerned about would be a very serious winter storm. So 7 days of backup power is probably more than sufficient. I mean what could happen in this area bringing power down for more then a week, excluding a nuclear attack or meteor strike! If we do have a nuclear attack, the last thing on my mind is placing a long distance phone call!

So some places might only have 4 hours of battery, and 48 hours of onsite generator fuel. It would be rare to go beyond 48 hours, and if it did it would probably be local to a grid failure in your specific area, in which case you could hire a mobile generator to stop by or a fuel refill.

The eventual abandonment of POTS for fiber and pure IP networks will have some trade-offs, the question is, is it worth it. I think so.

-john