Art Clemons on 2 May 2006 01:17:20 -0000

Re: Central Office Emergency Power [WAS Re: [PLUG] Re: FIOS]

> It goes without saying that in a Katrina-like disaster - you'll be screwed either way.
>
> However, its geographical. The mid-atlantic region doesn't suffer from any of the serious major weather anomalies or earthquakes. The only thing to be concerned about would be a very serious winter storm. So 7 days of backup power is probably more than sufficient. I mean what could happen in this area bringing power down for more then a week, excluding a nuclear attack or meteor strike! If we do have a nuclear attack, the last thing on my mind is placing a long distance phone call!

Let's note that a region wide blackout could happen here and could have
happened here the last time Ohio and NY State got taken out.  What saved
this region was one tech or set of techs doing exactly the right thing,
namely isolating this region when failures began popping up.  If the
same set of events had arisen in let's say Montgomery County, PA, the
region would have been dark and in really hot weather, there are folks
who need electricity just as much as in the winter.