Doug Crompton on 3 May 2006 17:20:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] NFS and XP pro

SFU works well. I have used it here. Kinda neat to do a ps, du, etc, etc.
in a Windows commmand window. The download does not give much info. It is
a 200Meg plus zip. Unzip it and then it puts it's stuff off of the system
base directory (c:\) You need to run setup.exe to install it but this is
not explained anywhere just apparent. Once installed you have a c:\SFU
directory with all of the normal unix subs... /etc. /dev. etc.  Notice I
used \ and not / as this is the windows way. You will have to use a mix
as some thing use one and some the other. You need to go into the SFU
admin window to set things up including turning on the nfs daemon, etc.

I have mounted NFS from windows to a unix box. My reason for getting it
was my disgust with the fickleness of the windows networking system. On
any given day machines would appear and disappear for no reason. I had
none of this with SFU and nfs mounting. It assigns a drive letter to a
remote NFS directory. This can them be browsed just like windows remote
directories. you would not know the difference but perhaps it is faster
and more flexible.

On a side note I later discovered that swiches in my local wired network
were often the problem with the windows machines not showing up. All other
IP traffic was fine but simply resetting the boxes (dower down/up) fixed
the problem of not seeing the machines. These are Linksys switches not a
$9.95 special so I don't know why that happenned. Sometimes very short
power glitches can cause them to be in an unpredictable state. Why is
effects window and not anything else I don't know. So if you have that
problem reset your switches before you start pulling your hair out.

Doug

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Austin Murphy wrote:

> SFU (Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX) provides an NFS Server along
> with a bunch of other stuff. It's all aimed at getting UNIX users to
> interoperate with Windows and migrate eventually.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/sfu35int.mspx
>
> Download here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/downloads/default.asp
>
> Austin
>

> On 5/3/06, Steve Morgan <stevem.firefly@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It appears to me he wants the XP machine to act as a NFS Server, not be a
> > client to it.  I know of no software that would make this happen.
> >
> > Micosoft's NFS is SMB, so they obviously never implemented the UNIX NFS on
> > their OSs.
> >

> > Steve Morgan
> >

> > On 5/3/06, jimjawn <jimjawn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Not out of the box, no.  There are some tools out there that you can use.
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324055/en-us
> > >
> > > but it's not natively supported.
> > >

> > > On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 11:02 -0400, George Gallen wrote:
> > >

> > > I have one machine running XP pro and would like to export a directory
> > using NFS
> > >    to our RedHat machine. Can XP pro out of the box do this?  Using
> > SMBmount is
> > >    not an option here.
> > >
> > > I saw the IIS had a lpd printer server, ftp/http server but I didn't see
> > NFS server.
> > >
> > > George
> > >
> > > George Gallen
> > > Senior Programmer/Analyst
> > > Accounting/Data Division
> > > ggallen@slackinc.com
> > > ph:856.848.1000 Ext 220
> > >
> > > SLACK Incorporated - Delivering the best in health care information and
> > education worldwide.
> > > http://www.slackinc.com

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *