Eric on 4 May 2006 23:52:07 -0000

Re: [PLUG] NFS and XP pro - and switch trouble

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 1:19 pm, Doug Crompton wrote:
> SFU works well. I have used it here. Kinda neat to do a ps, du, etc, etc.
> in a Windows commmand window. The download does not give much info. It is
> a 200Meg plus zip. Unzip it and then it puts it's stuff off of the system
> base directory (c:\) You need to run setup.exe to install it but this is
> not explained anywhere just apparent. Once installed you have a c:\SFU
> directory with all of the normal unix subs... /etc. /dev. etc.  Notice I
> used \ and not / as this is the windows way. You will have to use a mix
> as some thing use one and some the other. You need to go into the SFU
> admin window to set things up including turning on the nfs daemon, etc.
>
> I have mounted NFS from windows to a unix box. My reason for getting it
> was my disgust with the fickleness of the windows networking system. On
> any given day machines would appear and disappear for no reason. I had
> none of this with SFU and nfs mounting. It assigns a drive letter to a
> remote NFS directory. This can them be browsed just like windows remote
> directories. you would not know the difference but perhaps it is faster
> and more flexible.
>
> On a side note I later discovered that swiches in my local wired network
> were often the problem with the windows machines not showing up. All other
> IP traffic was fine but simply resetting the boxes (dower down/up) fixed
> the problem of not seeing the machines. These are Linksys switches not a
> $9.95 special so I don't know why that happenned. Sometimes very short
> power glitches can cause them to be in an unpredictable state. Why is
> effects window and not anything else I don't know. So if you have that
> problem reset your switches before you start pulling your hair out.
>
> Doug

I've had the same trouble with a cable modem as well as switches, and hubs.
Now, every single piece of my network infrastructure has a UPS.  Even the
$15 or $20 (cheap) UPS I find on sale at Staples are sufficient for a
couple of switches or print servers.  Zero problems now.

Eric