James P Dugan on 6 May 2006 18:11:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Is anyone running vmware?

On Sat, 6 May 2006 09:51:59 -0700 (PDT)
Marc Zucchelli <marcz908@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I heard there is now a free version.  I went on the
> site and it looks like vmware player is the only free
> product.  It says it can run any virtual machine
> created by the vmware workstation, etc.  Would this
> mean that I'd have to purchase the vmware workstation
> anyway, and if I had that, why would I need the
> player.
>
> There are 2 or 3 windows programs that I need for my
> business, and I hate booting out of linux and into
> windows, it wastes so much time.  My options are to
> buy another box, or to start running vmware.
>
> Does anybody have any experience with this?

I did run vmware for about 3 years (2001~2004).  The vmware player does require that you have the image created from a vmware workstation install.  This image is created and then can be "shared" across a network by several other computers using player.  Usfull to a large buisness that needs to test on multiple platforms from an IT  standpoint, but mostly useless to the rest of us.

Which apps are you trying to run?  I only ask because depending on the programs they may not work in vmware anyway.  When I last used vmware, hardware 3d acceleration was not supported and certain types of hardware (ieee1394 in my case) was not supported either.  This may have changed since 2004, but it did not seem the priority at that time.

--
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk, I have a workstation...