Douglas Muth on 14 May 2006 18:28:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] was DCA now Speakeasy

On 5/14/06, Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com> wrote:
Since ISP choice gets frequent coverage here and since this is all
archived, I thought it important that I note that I no longer feel DCA
is such a great ISP.  When things go right they're still quite good:
fixed IP, reverse mapped, good uptime until recently.  But when things
have gone wrong they've been abominable where once they were
exceptional.  I've seen two outages recently.  My neighbor, using
Speakeasy, called S tech support and was immediately told (network
status recording) that there was an outage covering a broad region.
When I called DCA support, the recording in both instances said no
problems, even 12 hours into the outage.  The system email status list
never mentioned it either time.
[snip]

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I've never had an outage of this type
with DCA.net.  I've only had 2 outages in total, each of which lasted
about 15 minutes.  (granted, I am not doing any sort of monitoring
from home, so there may be more that I don't know about)

I saw that you mentioned Covad elsewhere in your email.  Is your
circuit provisioned through them?  I ask because my DSL circuit is
provisioned through Verizon.  Also, DCA recently did some work where
they changed the provisioning so the circuit now terminates in their
facility in Delaware, presumably so they could provide better service.

-- Doug (A relatively happy DCA customer)