Jeff Abrahamson on 14 May 2006 18:40:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] was DCA now Speakeasy

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 02:28:28PM -0400, Douglas Muth wrote:
>   [31 lines, 264 words, 1744 characters]  Top characters: etoin_rs
>
> On 5/14/06, Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com> wrote:
> > Since ISP choice gets frequent coverage here and since this is all
> > archived, I thought it important that I note that I no longer feel DCA
> > is such a great ISP.  When things go right they're still quite good:
> > fixed IP, reverse mapped, good uptime until recently.  But when things
> > have gone wrong they've been abominable where once they were
> > exceptional.  I've seen two outages recently.  My neighbor, using
> > Speakeasy, called S tech support and was immediately told (network
> > status recording) that there was an outage covering a broad region.
> > When I called DCA support, the recording in both instances said no
> > problems, even 12 hours into the outage.  The system email status list
> > never mentioned it either time.
> [snip]
>
> Just to throw in my 2 cents, I've never had an outage of this type
> with DCA.net.  I've only had 2 outages in total, each of which lasted
> about 15 minutes.  (granted, I am not doing any sort of monitoring
> from home, so there may be more that I don't know about)

I do monitor, so I know within a few minutes how long outages last.
But, to be clear, the outages have not been DCA's fault.  I am only
evaluating them on their response to the outages.

> I saw that you mentioned Covad elsewhere in your email. [...]

I am on a Covad circuit.  I asked them once about changing, and they
said I would have to deal with Verizon, to whom I would have to pay
hefty start-up fees.  Speakeasy deals with the telco for me *and*
charges me less *and* provides better support when things go wrong.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287