John Von Essen on 15 May 2006 03:39:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] was DCA now Speakeasy

I work for a company who provisions DSL circuits and there are many reasons why one user gets an outage, and another does not. Bad wiring at CO, DSLAM port is fuzzy and needs to be reset, cards aren't seated right, etc.,. So its very common for two households next to each other to have varying outages. The ISP only considers it an outage if it effects a large population, or there is something on the ISP side for their WAN connection (like their OC3 to Level3 or something).

Like Jeff said, its not the outage - but how the company responds to it. Whether its DSL, Voice, DS3, whatever, the problem is the telco business is managed as a pure commodity based operation. As a result, companies make money by being as cheap as humanly possible. And since they ALL are cheap, everyone has to follow that example to stay competitive. That means hiring idiot customer service and tech support people, and keeping a skeleton crew of platform engineers.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter who you go with - they all stink!

Though, I am optimistic that QoS with FiOS might be improved. Line quality issues should be less of an issue.

-john