Thomas A. Lowery on 15 May 2006 03:57:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] "Mini" DNS options?

Douglas Muth wrote:
On 5/14/06, jazzman@exdomain.org <jazzman@exdomain.org> wrote:
Now that every machine on my network is working ok I was thinking of
setting up some kind of small dns server for my internal network. Can
anyone make any recommendations on what the best way to proceed is.

What options other than BIND are there? It seems like BIND is a headache,
from what it seems, but all I need is a DNS server for a network with
maybe 10 machines. Names/addresses won't change often, if at all, but I
was hoping to do something other than copying hosts files to every single
machine.

One alternative is tinydns/djbdns:

http://tinydns.org/
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html