Doug Crompton on 15 May 2006 04:16:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] was DCA now Speakeasy

I have had DCA net for almost 2 years and I have never had a problem with
them. I have never had an outage that I know of unless it was pre-planned
and noted by them. I think that has only been once... oh yes I did have an
extended outage when there was a fire in Philly but that effected more
then DCAnet.

I recently sent them an email regarding a problem I had on a second IP.
They were very responsive and when i called on the phone I got tech
suppport within minutes and he knew from my level of experience how to
deal with me. No O/S was ever discussed. It turned out it was a router
problem on my end which I solved with a replacement. I did however call
the toll Wilmington number. It seemed the 800 number just got me to an
answering machine promising call back.

I pay $44/month- charged quarterly for  3MB/768,  six static IP's. It was
my impression that Speakeasy charged considerably more. At one time I saw
prices of $80-90 for the same service.

FIOS is operational in my area but I have refused it because I would never
have the same deal as DCAnet. Verizon would charge a fortune for static if
they even offer it. In talking with DCAnet I would not hold my breath for
any third party resale of FIOS either.

I think we are getting to critical times with all these mergers and
buyouts where at some point we may be faced with no one to go to for
residential or small office static IP.

Doug

On Sun, 14 May 2006, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> Since ISP choice gets frequent coverage here and since this is all
> archived, I thought it important that I note that I no longer feel DCA
> is such a great ISP.  When things go right they're still quite good:
> fixed IP, reverse mapped, good uptime until recently.  But when things
> have gone wrong they've been abominable where once they were
> exceptional.  I've seen two outages recently.  My neighbor, using
> Speakeasy, called S tech support and was immediately told (network
> status recording) that there was an outage covering a broad region.
> When I called DCA support, the recording in both instances said no
> problems, even 12 hours into the outage.  The system email status list
> never mentioned it either time.
>
> Meanwhile, tech support insisted on having me verify connectivity with
> a Windows laptop before they would escalate my support instance to
> level 2 or to Covad.  (Is this because Windows or laptops are more
> reliable than solid state routers?)  One tech with whom I spoke said
> that they won't support me at all if I have a home network, although
> they don't mind my having one.  Another said they don't mind my using
> linux, they just won't support me if I do.  By "support" they mean
> accept that there might be a problem.
>
> In any case, DCA support used to be able to confirm ATM connectivity
> to my modem, so that at least they could say "Yes, we believe the line
> works" or "Ah, I see that it doesn't work."  But now they want this
> rigamarole when, in fact, they apparently (based on Speakeasy) could
> simply know that there's a broad outage and say so.
>
> My Speakeasy install should complete this week.  The service is more
> price competitive anyway.  I'll cancel DCA at that time.  Since these
> two outages have affected me on DCA and my neighbor on Speakeasy, I
> don't expect my actual uptime to change.  But I do expect to have a
> more pleasant downtime experience because of the change.
>
> --
>  Jeff
>
>  Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287
>  GPG fingerprint: 1A1A BA95 D082 A558 A276  63C6 16BF 8C4C 0D1D AE4B

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *