Ronald Kaye Jr on 18 May 2006 03:23:51 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Kubuntu and trashed passwords

my class has been exploring kubuntu this week.
couldnt login as root, had to use at the very least the user setup during
install.

kde (control center) has all the tools,
and when i attempt a root only task, i am prompted for a password.
the "user" password gives the root privilege.

at the command line, i sudo <command>
ie sudo apt-get

poking around today, i noticed that /etc/alias contained one line

root    rekaye1005            #my user name

found this awkward and confusing at first, but now kinda like it

in the windows server world, we know better than to login as administrator,
but the runas command is tedious.

of course, our lazy shortcut, can end up having all sorts of crap sneak on
to our machine.

hope that helps

ron