Greg Helledy on 17 May 2006 20:01:12 -0000

[PLUG] Kubuntu and trashed passwords

So I did install Kubuntu 5.10 from an .iso image--I went with the i386 architecture. I did not upgrade KDE (I have 3.4.x).

On install I chose not to use shadow passwords, keeping everything the same as possible with what I'm familiar with (Debian). Following instructions posted at kubuntuforums.net, I enabled the root account, so my machine had 2 users, root and the regular user.

Then, logged in as root, I used the KDE user user manager to add another user. I got an error, I think it said that /etc/shadow was not available. So I went to console and tried to add the user with adduser and it said that user already existed.

I logged out and tried to log in with the new user via kdm. Invalid login. Then I tried to log in as root. Invalid login. Then I tried to log in as the old regular user. Invalid login.

Nothing on the forums seems to address this. Have I hosed this install? Kubuntu seems to have a lot of strange quirks. Any other Debian-based distros I should try?

Greg Helledy

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (postmaster@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise