Art Alexion on 18 May 2006 15:01:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Kubuntu and trashed passwords

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 16:30, Greg Helledy wrote:
> On install I chose not to use shadow passwords, keeping everything the
> same as possible with what I'm familiar with (Debian).  Following
> instructions posted at kubuntuforums.net, I enabled the root account, so
> my machine had 2 users, root and the regular user.
>
> Then, logged in as root, I used the KDE user user manager to add another
> user.  I got an error, I think it said that /etc/shadow was not
> available.  So I went to console and tried to add the user with adduser
> and it said that user already existed.
>
> I logged out and tried to log in with the new user via kdm.  Invalid
> login.  Then I tried to log in as root.  Invalid login.  Then I tried to
> log in as the old regular user.  Invalid login.

[K]ubuntu strongly discourages doing things as root while making it possible.
It is tilted toward using sudo to do root things.  [Almost] anything you
would expect to do as root, you do through sudo.

You can probably fix whatever happened using kcontrol, clicking administrator
mode, and entering your user password when prompted.

Just curious, why did you *choose* not to upgrade KDE?

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.
Info @