Jeff Abrahamson on 18 May 2006 03:25:47 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Kubuntu and trashed passwords

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 04:30:13PM -0400, Greg Helledy wrote:
> I logged out and tried to log in with the new user via kdm.  Invalid
> login.  Then I tried to log in as root.  Invalid login.  Then I
> tried to log in as the old regular user.  Invalid login.

It's generally a good idea to verify logins without logging out
first.  Just ssh to yourself and confirm that all works.  This
especially when there's a doubt, like a user/password tool reporting
an error.  Do this before you drop root privileges.

To fix it, reboot with a rescue disk.  Mount your hard drive.
Old-school fix is now to edit /hd/etc/passwd and /hd/etc/shadow on the
hard drive, then reboot.  New-fangled way is to chroot to /hd and use
passwd.  Read some man pages to feel comfortable that you are invoking
these things correctly.

Security side note: this is why your machine is not secure if someone
has access to it. ;-)

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287