Art Alexion on 19 May 2006 14:19:42 -0000

[PLUG] [semi-OT] integrating new dsl gateway into lan

Verizon just sent me a new modem, the Actiontec.  This DSL modem is a modem,
an ethernet gateway and a wireless router.  My existing setup is a Linux
computer using RP-PPPoE set to IP-Masq, thereby providing routing/gateway for
the other 2-3 computers on the LAN.  The Linux gateway has two NIC cards: one
to receive the DSL data, and the other for the LAN.  Two of the other (w32)
computers have a single NIC; an OSX laptop has both ethernet and wireless
built in so my question doesn't apply to it. There is an 8 port hub for the
LAN.

Is there a way for the w32 computers with one NIC to connect to the DSL
gateway and the LAN without adding another NIC? In other words, can the
Actiontec gateway act as both a DSL router and a hub?

Is there way to chain the hub into this mess to achieve this?  (I think I have
another NIC around, but it would be nice if I didn't need it, plus I just
have the curiosity to learn another way to accomplish this.)

Is it worth the trouble using FTP rather than Samba for the LAN, and can that
be accomplished through the gateway?

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.