Lee Marzke on 19 May 2006 23:16:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [semi-OT] integrating new dsl gateway into lan

Is this your device?
http://www.actiontec.com/products/broadband/54mbps_wireless_gateway_4p/index.php

If so, looks like it has a built in 4 port switch. It would be better to use the built-int
switch than a hub. If your not running any web servers on your network you most likely
don't need to change anything on the ADSL unit.

Why do you think you need to do something to the clients or use the hub ?

If your using your Linux box as a file server for your Windows clients, then
you would use Samba.

can that be accomplished through the gateway?

I think you misunderstand. The 4 ports on the gateway are JUST a switch that happens to be internally connected to the gateway. Everything ( SAMBA and/or FTP will continue to work on your LAN the same way when connected thru the 4 port switch as they did when connected to your hub.

Lee

gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
If your modem is also a router, you should be able to add a hub or
switch to it.  Another way is to change the modem to bridge-only mode,
then connect a router to it.  I used the second method at my fathers
house since I had a router available and not a switch.  A third method
might be to keep the modem in router mode, then add a router as a plain
switch.

Art Alexion wrote:
Verizon just sent me a new modem, the Actiontec. This DSL modem is a modem, an ethernet gateway and a wireless router. My existing setup is a Linux computer using RP-PPPoE set to IP-Masq, thereby providing routing/gateway for the other 2-3 computers on the LAN. The Linux gateway has two NIC cards: one to receive the DSL data, and the other for the LAN. Two of the other (w32) computers have a single NIC; an OSX laptop has both ethernet and wireless built in so my question doesn't apply to it. There is an 8 port hub for the LAN.

Is there a way for the w32 computers with one NIC to connect to the DSL gateway and the LAN without adding another NIC? In other words, can the Actiontec gateway act as both a DSL router and a hub?

Is there way to chain the hub into this mess to achieve this? (I think I have another NIC around, but it would be nice if I didn't need it, plus I just have the curiosity to learn another way to accomplish this.)

Is it worth the trouble using FTP rather than Samba for the LAN, and can that be accomplished through the gateway?